On the weekend just gone, we got our first look at all of the rookie QBs from April’s draft.
There are so many things to be mindful of when assessing a QBs preseason to NFL regular season game projection though.
- The offence & defensive schemes are mostly vanilla. Neither side of the ball will give away their best work so early.
- Which QB played with the 1st team offence. Which basically means week 1 starters.
- Which QB played against the 1st team defence. Again meaning week 1 starters for opposition.
- Legitimate competition for starting job from week 1. Will they start the season?
- Lastly their supporting cast. Will they be protected well? Can they run the ball? Do they have legit targets?
With all that being said, I think Trevor Lawrence, a guy I’m really high on long term is massive unders @ $4.0 for the ROTY award.
My selection to have a play on now is the 2nd overall pick Zach Wilson @ $9.50
Wilson throws a beautiful spiral in his debut.
The Jets QB has a quick release, makes quick decisions and has good feet in the pocket.
Completing 6-9 for 63 yards against a stout Giants defence and should have had one more completion if his TE didn’t slip on a route.
Again, I’m mindful the Giants did not have a number of starters from their secondary.
But his O-Line held up well which will helped him get the pigskin to Corey Davis.
Which will also benefit in the run game and I’m excited to see RB Micheal Carter get more touches as the season prolongs.
Throw in he has zero competition out of all the rookies to start week 1.
The other QB of note is obviously Justin Fields.
He looked grouse running with the 2nd team offence against the Dolphins twos.
Pumped to see how Wilson goes against my Packers week two of preseason.